Pages

February 21, 2015

I Blow Bubbles When You Are Not Here

Before we begin, here is a little background knowledge for my title: 

There was a popular song a while back by Macy Gray called "I try." I felt left out because every person and their dog absolutely loved that song and I hated it. Why? Well in the chorus, she sings 

I try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
My world crumbles when you are not near

Well, I always heard "I blow bubbles when you are not here." It would bring me to an embarrassing level of anger because it never made sense.

Kisstheguy is a website dedicated to misheard lyrics. It is hilarious!

My niece is turning eight Monday. I believe that makes her a "tween," at least according to American Girl, and they have never steered me wrong in the past. I subscribed her to their magazine. I loved that magazine when I was her age and well, what are children for but to relive our fond memories? Along with that theme, my first try with "melted crayon art" will be for her. 


Isn't his just precious? Also, looks as difficult as melted crayon art could be. Apparently my philosophy in life is to just jump in the deep end and hope I survive.


I duct-taped some crayons onto part of a shoebox. I went with the colors in the pink family.

This wouldn't be my blog without something not working. (Hello, triple negative). I took a video of me melting the crayons but I can only post pictures, so here are some things I learned.

1. It doesn't matter what direction the crayons are pointed, they will melt in the direction of gravity.
2. Clumps can form but it is easy to fix it with a blow dryer.
3. Duct-tape won't hold the crayons forever but it will get the job done. 
4. Husbands get annoyed when you ask them to take pictures all the time, and then ask them to edit the blog afterward (hi, hunny!)



The painting/coloring I am imitating had a lot of spots to look like bubbles. One way to do that is with a hot glue gun. I discovered you can also do it with a single crayon and a blow-drier- I really liked that effect. 


And once that is nice and melted, you can smash it into the canvas for larger spots.


Here is the coloring so far. I am pretty proud of how it turned out! To add to it,


I tried doing a rough sketch to see how big I needed to draw.



And sketched it on card stock. It turned out too small.


I tried a new silhouette entirely. I liked the way it turned out better. Decided it was too small.

Drew it bigger.




Decided I like it smaller.

This turned out really cool! I'm hoping my niece will like it. I might add more bubbles and mod-podgy over the girl. Thoughts? Also, how am I going to ship this?





No comments:

Post a Comment