Pages

January 28, 2013

Slugs, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails(22-28)

This week was average with a dose of some kind of interesting. I have been trying to think of any pages I could add to my blog but I can't think of anything so if you have any suggestions let me know!

Day 22

Every day, men have to make choices that could define their lives forever. Minute decisions may change their course and they might end up a different person in ten years had they made a different choice. This story is not one of those examples.

I always end up eating lunch in one of the teachers' lounges alone. Apparently there are two, but I have not discovered the other one. I brought a dollar to buy a coke, which was sticky from some syrup. Well as I was eating lunch, the coke machine decided to grant me another coke. What am I supposed to do with this gift the machine has bestowed upon me? Should I give it to the pregnant teacher I work with? Should I just leave it as free game for anyone in the lounge? Should I turn it into the office and admit that I unintentionally stole seventy-five cents? I think I will go with the best option and save it for the afternoon.

Sometimes things don't happen during the day and I have to stretch something to make it appear "blog worthy".

Day 23

Another Wednesday, another day with preschool choir. One of our regulars excitedly greeted us as we were walking down the hallway. For the sake of privacy, we will call him Brady. Brady is all boy. He is only six years old and has already broken a bone three or four times. One time was at church while jumping off one of those kiddie slides. You know, the ones that are meant for kids to do stupid things on? Besides student teaching kindergarten for half of a semester, this is the first time I really have been introduced to a six year-old boy. I feel he is a great ambassador for his kind.

I have a brother that is four years older than me, but I obviously was never capable of being observant and taking notes of the behavior of this other species. When I was six, I was too egocentric (look it up, I was developmentally appropriate) to notice the other gender. I was married to one boy named Alex, though. I am glad Aaron looked past that when he asked me to marry him.

This boy has fully taken on the roll of introducing me to his kind, and he doesn't even know he is doing it. I pointed out a dead cockroach (no, I did not scream) and he proceeded to go over. Brady would not mind catching said cockroach if he was alive and doing coreography for "La Cucaracha". Brady catches frogs every times it rains, so I am sure cockroaches would be nothing for him.

Day 24

One of our wedding gifts is a "Couple's Devotional Bible" given to us by the pastor at the church I attended when I was a teenager. This particular bible has one year long worth of devotions that are applicable to married couples. We have made a committment to reading it everyday before we go to bed. This has been a great tool for us to grow as a couple and for us to gracefully learn from our mistakes.

Some of the devotions have really stood out for us. The one that relates to today comes from Proberbs 17. Specifically Proberbs 17:1

Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting with strife.

The devotion suggested that we give each other a little bit of peace when we get home from work so we can greet each other in a loving way rather than taking stress out on your significant other. My way of finding a breather is taking a bath with a lighted candle while my Rodrigo y Gabriela Pandora station is playing in the background. It makes it really easy for me to not take work home with me.

Day 25

The students in my Life Skills' class earn a "Fun Friday" every week. They watch movies and play games such as 'Dominoes' and 'Memory.' Today we watched "Jumanji." This movie terrified me as a child. To me it was the most menacing, eerie, creepy, spine-chilling movie and to show your child such a film is irresponsible and cold-blooded, not to mention torturous. If you are not familiar with the movie "Jumanji," here is my summary of the movie:

A boy who was casted well because of his resemblance to Robin Williams decides it would be a good time to bring home a supernatural game that lures him with African drumbeats. He argues with his dad about boarding school because twelve year-olds know best. He obviously proved this by taking some ominious game into his house. His friend girl comes over and they play the game. He gets sucked into the game, literally, and she gets chased away by bats.

Twenty-six years later a woman and her neice and nephew move into the very same house. The nephew sees a bat and they call an exterminator who responsibly tells them that a boy who used to live there is dead and his body is chopped up and scattered throughout the house.

The kids decide it would be a good idea to play the Jumanji game because no one can resist a good beat, They play and all the animals from Africa come out, including monkeys who have the ability to shoot a gun and drive a car, oversized spiders, and killer plants. They finish the game and throw it out into the world for it to terrorize for someone else.

Well after seeing that as a five year old, someone in my family decided it would be a good idea to buy the board game! Hello?! Has no one watched the film that was basically a warning to not play the game? It really took a lot of convincing for me to play it. No terrifying monkeys or giant spiders came out.

Or did they? ...

Day 26

After working on Aaron's truck all day, Aaron and I went on a much appreciated date. The wait time was thirty minutes, which is pretty average in Midland. I actually enjoy wait times, for the most part. It is a great opportunity to go people watching and it is a good excuse to stay out later. I gave Aaron that lovely ring out of the vending machine. I think it lights up but I can't figure out how to work it. I know. I spoil him.

Day 27

Aaron and I had an interview with a church in Charlotte, Tx via Skype. The picture was posed but I didn't want to have to explain to them why I was taking a pictue of the computer. We really liked the people we interviewed with and it won't be too long until we hear their decision. They have moved faster than what I have come to expect out of a church committee. I am trying not to think about it too much because I don't want to get my hopes up.

Because I get tired by 9:00 we had to cut the date short last night so we continued it today. We had the intention of going to see "Lincoln" but went to the wrong theatre. The movie started at the same time so we didn't realize what was going on until the previews were over. I didn't want to have to stumble in the dark again so we ended up watching another movie instead. And because we are "those people" who kill jokes to a pulp we continued to laugh about how "it was the longest preview we had ever seen" and "that it had a different twist than we were expecting."

Day 28

The school I work at had an assembly in the afternoon. Sorry for the bad picture, I was trying to avoid another awkward explanation. The motivational speaker's name was Melvin Adams. He is a former Harlem Globetrotter and has spoken in the Midland area before. He brought a hip hop group with him this time and they did most of the talking. My kids LOVED them. I had one boy who has a hard time speaking standing up and getting really into it. He and a couple of others from my group went up to freestyle with some other kids. I made sure the crowd yelled the loudest for them. They were so proud of themselves and I am sure we will be hearing about this for the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment