Pages

August 21, 2010

Not Yet Independent

Let me just start off saying that I do not like to do anything involving cars. This includes changing my oil, changing my tires, driving, and dealing with mechanics...especially when it comes to dealing with mechanics...

I don't know if it is the fact that I am a girl or the fact that I have "dumb when it comes to cars" tattooed on my forehead (which is something I should probably get checked out, but I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to dealing with mechanics. Okay, disclaimer. I know whoever is reading this is probably like "Hey! Watch out lady! My Uncle Jo Humphrey IV is a mechanic and he is the most honest man since good 'ol Abe Lincoln." I am not saying every mechanic is dishonest. In fact I am friends with some very honest mechanics. I am just saying I seem to have a radar that attracts all the dishonest mechanics.

My dad and I switched vehicles last time I went home because the lease of Flat Stanley, my beloved Chevy truck, was up. At least that is what my dad says. I honestly believe he realized his PT Cruiser,or Clinton, was a girl car so he switched with his very girly daughter. My father neglected to renew the state inspection sticker on Clinton. So today,over a month past the expiration date on the sticker, expecting the worst, I come in with a game plan. I will turn down anything the mechanic says I need unless I cannot pass inspection without it. I even had my game face on. You know the face, very similar to the face when you are walking down the streets in New York City, or when you are watching 21 children high on sugar. That face.

Inspections should really not take that long. Unless you are me. I gave the guy my keys and got a coke while I was waiting. The TV had 48 Hour Mystery on it featuring a murder that happened in Abilene. Nothing really relevant about that fact, I just thought it was interesting. Mechanic guy calls me up and says my windshield wipers were messed up and he has found nails in both rear tires and I can't pass inspection unless it gets fixed. I thought it was strange that both tires seemed to have nails in them, and I also wondered what kind of roads my father drives down. But I never seem to have the best of luck with tires so I said to fix them. So thirty minutes later mechanic guy says something is wrong with the lug nuts on the tires and I can't pass inspection unless I get this fixed. I decided to let him precede but I said this with a sigh. I figured that if I sounded annoyed he wouldn't find anything else "wrong" with my car. I decided to give my dad a call and tell him what was going on.

He immediately was like 'Tires are not part of the inspection, you need to take your car to another place." I explained to him, however, that I already told them to continue and didn't know how far along they have gone. Sitting in the waiting room, Mr. Flipping Mechanic Guy came in and said that they couldn't fix the hole in my tire and I need a new tire. I told him that I was going to take my car to someone else and just finish whatever they were doing now so I could leave. I then called my dad and told him what was going on. He made me give him the phone number of the place.

I was completely embarrassed that my daddy had to call them, wondering if I will be in my thirties someday with him still fixing things. It turns out they were completely ripping me off, tires are not in fact part of the inspection and they had to admit that to him. He also told me not to sign anything... Let's just say this friendly place of business may not have a state inspecting license much longer.

I think I will just let my dad take my vehicles in from now on, otherwise I might as well pay them $100 for just walking into the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment